In honor of the opening of Vō Blow, a concept salon focused on quick and effective, yet luxurious hair treatments designed to help maintain your magnificence, we decided to find out more about the man behind the perfect hair, Kim Vō. His new salon, Vō Blow, is located street-level at the famed Montage Beverly Hills, and is the complete package from root to end. Perfect for a lunch break refresh or when you’re tight on time and need a root touch-up before a big event, Vō Blow’s core services include blow-outs, moisturizing treatments and 10-minute color, all under $50.
1. Growing up, who inspired you to become a hairstylist and did you have a mentor, if so who?
Believe it or not, watching Jose Eber on TV. He’s a legend. Mentors are tough to come by, but what I did was look at artists like Wolfgang Puck for example and followed their inspirations and paths.
2. When was it clear to you that you were gifted and destined to become a celebrity hairstylist?
OMG! Part luck, right place at the right time, but I think if one is truly talented and practices their craft, the “luck” widens! I realized that very quickly that when one of my blonde celebrity client referred another one to me. My first was Pamela Anderson and it was great after that!
3. Was there a pivotal moment in your career where you knew Kim Vo Salon was going to be such a success?
I really felt that my intent was to have an “approachable luxury” concept. Great talent and great attitude made us and instant success.
4. What is the difference between styling hair for television/movies and red carpet over every day wear?
Believe it or not they all are very different, but have one thing in common. Everyone wants to look their best. Everyone wants to feel amazing and because of that, a red carpet look can be an inspiration for your wedding, anniversary, or New Years party. I call that my “everyday celebrity” look. You don’t have to be a celeb to look like one.
5. We at LA Guestlist hear you are known as the Blonde Bombshell colorist, did this originate from being able to stay blonde all year round in California? Do blondes really have more fun? ; )
Blondes to me are more than a color. They are a personality, attitude, and lifestyle. Believe it, blondes are tough to make look natural. That’s my favorite part of making people bring their “inner blonde” out.
6. What are the trendiest hair styles in Hollywood Today?
Dirty/Flirty. Roots still rule the runways and red carpet. Its evolved from ombre to a few connected “babylights” on top of the crown to seamlessly blend into the lightened ends.
7. What is your #1 hair care tip?
Use products that have a “bonding” technology. Meaning, your hairdresser has to use things that will help your color process beautifully.
8. A lot of past hair trends have become popular again, what do you predict is the next go to hair style? Male and Female.
Pomade for men. The “grunge” look is coming up strong, think 90’s. For women, dirty/flirty and also “glam grunge” where hair is somewhat polished, but has a sexy “just got out of bed” look.
Interview by Jonathan Stinson
Tags: Beverly Hills, Hair, Hair Colorist, Kim Vo, Kim Vo Salon, LA Guestlist, Los Angeles, Montage Beverly Hills, Vō Blow
On Thursday, January 17th, Margot Los Angeles celebrated its grand…
Refinery29 celebrated the West Coast return of 29Rooms “Expand Your…
Tucked between the Peninsula and the Waldorf Astoria hotels, Spring…
Your email address will not be published.