You probably want to wear your favorite pieces as often as possible, and who can blame you? Jewelry is a wonderful way to give just the right amount of flair to any outfit. However, if you don’t take proper care of your jewelry it won’t be long before you find out the hard way that a gemstone can fall out of its setting, or that the plating on your new favorite necklace is easily scratched off. You might find yourself in possession of jewelry in need of some TLC, so it’s important to learn how to properly take care of your jewelry to keep it looking great for as long as possible.
All pieces should be kept clean so that they stay looking good as long as possible, and it’s easy to do this with a little warm water and soap. Gently scrub the jewelry in question under running water to remove any dirt or grime, then dry it off afterward with a soft cloth. You can use this same technique for gemstones as well, as long as they aren’t too fragile or too valuable. However, if you do find yourself in a situation where a treasured piece has seen one too many years of wear and tear, a jeweler can help you get it back in working order. () As the specialists that do jewelry repair in Baltimore MD say that an experienced jeweler can mend almost any damage your jewelry has taken and make it look new again. If a piece happens to be beyond repair, you can always ask for recommendations for a jewelry designer that can reuse the parts of your former favorite piece to make something new. This way, you still get to keep something that’s valuable – either sentimentally or monetarily – and you get to make the most of your jewelry budget. A good designer will provide fresh ideas while also keeping your wishes in mind.
To protect and prolong the life of your most cherished pieces, you want to store them in a place where they won’t get banged up or damaged. This means that heavy pieces should be stored in a box and that delicate necklaces with links or clasps should be hung from hooks or ties that will keep them from getting bent or tangled. Organizing your collection by type, size and material is a good idea as well. Having them all separated will not only help when it comes to protecting individual pieces but having a clear overview of the jewelry you own can inspire you to find new ways to mix and match different pieces. A lot of people have a favorite necklace, for example, that they wear all the time, and there’s nothing wrong with that. However, making it easy for yourself to see every piece that you own can breed new ideas for unique outfits – just think at how versatile a single necklace can be when you have others of different shapes, sizes, and textures that you can combine it with.
3. Taking Care In Specific Situations
Of course, not all jewelry is created equal. Some pieces are more delicate than others or feature stones that require a little extra care. Here are a few specific pieces that you might find yourself in possession of and in need of some TLC:
– Silver Plated Jewelry: Silver plating is a great way to get the look of silver without spending an arm and a leg, but it can wear off over time when under the stress of daily wear. Fortunately, there’s a great way to preserve the look of your silver-plated jewelry without having to spend money on removing and re-plating it every few years: applying clear nail polish on them! This does just as good of a job – if not better than salon treatments – at protecting your plating while also keeping the clasp or link from getting stuck on your clothes or poking your skin.
– Costume Jewelry: You might be surprised to find that costume jewelry doesn’t need as much TLC as you’d think, especially if it’s made out of plastic instead of glass or metal. Store it in a dry place away from humidity and the sun, but don’t worry about cotton or plastic bags. You can actually keep costume jewelry in a regular drawer and it won’t be affected.
– Pearls: Pearls are one of the most popular types of jewelry thanks to their neutral color, stunning sheen, and versatile shape. However, they also require a little extra care when worn so that they don’t lose their luster or get scratched. The best thing you can do for your pearls is to simply wipe them down after each wearing with a soft, dry cloth. If they’re already looking dull, mix some mild soap in warm water and gently rub it on each pearl using your fingers or a toothbrush. Rinse thoroughly with cold water before patting dry with a soft towel.
Apart from the general upkeep, you should always take care of what kind of jewelry you’re wearing in different settings. If you’re going to the pool, for example, you should leave your jewelry at home and wear a stylish pair of sunglasses instead. If you’re going to be in contact with water or chemicals, such as when showering after exercising, it’s important that you remove all pieces before getting into the shower or pool. Of course, if you want to make a statement, you can absolutely wear whatever you want, just make sure that what you’re wearing is something you’re ok with getting damaged.
4. Check The Clasps And Links
One of the most important steps you can take when it comes to caring for your jewelry is checking the clasps and links when trying it on. Make sure they’re sturdy enough to last but gentle enough to keep from causing damage when being worn. Losing a favorite necklace is a common nightmare for most people who love wearing them, but with a few simple tricks, you can make sure this doesn’t happen to you. The first thing to do when putting on your jewelry in the morning or just before going out is to check that all of your clasps are working properly. If any pieces are loose, you can either tighten them with pliers or take them to a jeweler for repair.
While this isn’t as much of a problem for chunkier pieces since you can hear it if they fall, you need to be extra careful with your more delicate pieces. The next time you’re putting on a strand of pearls or a pair of earrings, make sure to check if they are going to stay in place for the evening. When you’re wearing jewelry as a fashion accessory, it’s important that you take proper care of them so they last as long as possible. Remember to store your pieces properly and check the clasps and links before putting them on every time. If done right, your jewelry will be in good shape for years and will always look great.
Tags: Baltimore MD, Clasps, Cleaning, Costume Jewelry, Jewelry, Links, nail polish, nelsoncoleman, Organizing, Pearls, plating, Silver Plated, Storing
With its beautiful weather and stunning landscapes, Los Angeles is…
Written by Darby Jones The diamond industry has seen many…
An engagement ring is a significant symbol that two individuals…
Your email address will not be published.